upgrade looses information

Please always state the Chamilo version you are referring to when reporting issues or asking questions.

Moderator: Coursenligne

upgrade looses information

Postby koenraad » 08 Jan 2018, 08:31

Hi,
Had a hectic weekend :cry: .
I tried to upgrade a production Chamilo server from 1.9.10 to a newer version. I tried all I knew on a test server and that worked fine. But I'm not very proficient with chamilo so users stumbled on problems when they tried to do things I didn't know about. So I started from scratch.
I first tried to upgrade to 1.11.4. In "Courses" I lost all members of the defined groups and also the documents from those groups.
Reverted and upgraded to 1.10.8. Same problem.
In both cases, I searched the file-system for those documents and they were present.

Is this a known problem ? I think the databases for the courses are not upgraded when upgrading chamilo beyond 1.9.10.
Or do I have some strange setup ? I have the main chamilo-database and each course has its own database containing amongst others information about the groups and its members and the documents of those groups.

So now I'm still running chamilo 1.9.10, although on new hardware. I'm worried about security of that old version of Chamilo.

Any information is welcome.

TIA,

Koenraad.
koenraad
New user

Re: upgrade looses information

Postby Coursenligne » 11 Jan 2018, 17:15

it depends on how you do your upgrade...
What I know (and this is a rule in my case) is that a major version of Chamilo will also change the database structure (or added tables, or renamed one...).
I therefore never upgrade major version, only minor one, as in the case of minor version, the database is kept as it was when the version came out.

How to know if the version I download is major or minor?
Well, it's very simple...
1.9.1 => 1.9. => minor version (1.9.xx), as the main part is 1.9
1.9.8 => 1.10.1 => major version, as the branch is now 1.10
Obviously, 1.x.yy => 2.0 major version :)

When I go for a major version, I go for a complete install, and the export/import my courses.
I hope this helps
Eric
--------------------------------------------------------------
Avez-vous pensé à devenir membre de l'association ?
Avez-vous songé à vous certifier (Coursebuilder et/ou Administrateur) ?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Coursenligne

Postby koenraad » 12 Jan 2018, 08:02

Thanks for your reply.

So you don't trust the upgrade procedure of Chamilo ?
I'm going to try the export/import route.

Koenraad.
koenraad
New user

Postby koenraad » 12 Jan 2018, 13:02

Regarding the export/import of courses :
I exported a course and imported it in a same version of chamilo on a different server. Here also, I loose information : groups and their members are lost. Documents of the groups are moved to the course documents.

I retested the upgrade. It seems I don't need those extra course-databases. Still I loose the group-members.
koenraad
New user

Return to All topics, all versions